Monday, September 9, 2013

A Fistful of Fall Anticipation 2013! (Matt’s Picks)



    I know I’ve been bemoaning the drab and lifeless films dumped onto the silver screens this year.  And I’m sure I’m not going to stop.  But, in the meantime, I’m trying to keep some hope alive.  In that spirit, here are my five most anticipated films of the Fall season.


5.  The Young and Prodigious T.S. Spivet:  Jean-Pierre Jeunet’s newest film may or may not play in the states this year.  It danged well better.  I love his weird fantasy reality, crazy characters, and bent sense of humor.  He’s one of the only French filmmakers who adds humor in ways I don’t find annoying.  Here’s hoping we can see this soon.  Because 2013 needs a major shot in the arm…or 8.


4.  47 Ronin:  OK, look.  I know.  This has a high, maybe even very high, likelihood of sucking in a most profound way.  But I hope (it’s just a hope) that it’s a fun, Pirates of the Caribbean style, Japanese mythology based, fantasy adventure film.  I hope it is.  I’ll be thrilled if it is.


3.  Her:  I don’t think much of Juaquin Phoenix.  He’s got a Brando vibe I find very off-putting.  And Spike Jones’s last film, Where the Wild Things Are was one of the worst films of 2009.  Still, the trailer is intriguing, and Jones did show a lot of early promise, so he might turn things around with this one.  Fingers crossed.


2.  Under the Skin:  I’m not sure if it’s a first-look high, but after seeing a quick montage teaser, this catapulted out of nowhere and on to this list.  I loved Sexy Beast, and this looks like a surreal nightmare…which I also love.  Bring it on, Jonathan Glazer.  Give me your best shot.  I can take it.  (I found out since writing this that the movie doesn’t have US distribution, and is only playing at festivals or some such.  I don’t care.  I’m keeping my fingers crossed that this sneaks out before the end of the year like The Artist did back in 2011).


1.  Inside Llewyn Davis:  The trailer for this film hardly thrills.  And I don’t care about folk singing or singers.  But I have liked every Coen Brothers film I’ve seen (except Intolerable Cruelty…duh).  So, I hope they strike gold one more time, and help rescue this year from the blahs.


    There are a few other movies I want to see, like Riddick, The Hobbit, Man of Tai Chi (if it plays), How I Live Now (if it plays), and Thor.  But it’s hard to say that I have any particularly strong ‘anticipation’ for them.  Oh, and I want to see Prince Avalanche, but it doesn’t look like it’s going to be carried in theaters anywhere I’ll get to.  So, my Fall season is up in the air, as many films I want to see, films that might potentially make this year less abysmal than it's been, may not even come out this year.  I don't get it.

-Matt

You sir, are no Conan.


No comments:

Post a Comment