Saturday, October 29, 2011

A Fistful of Monsters! (Matt’s Picks)


    All right, with Halloween just a matter of hours away, we here at In the Mouth of Dorkness are looking at our favorite movie monsters.  Now, I love a good movie monster.  I used to read books about ‘em as a lad.  Early fond memories include seeing Reptilicus on the Creature Double Feature at my friend’s house.  What are my five favorites?  I don’t know for sure.  But, here are five I really love. 

5.  The Machine-Man (Metropolis):  A mad inventor tries to recreate a mechanical version of his dead love, but is pushed into casting it into the image of Maria, the idealistic rabble-rouser and object of affection for the fortunate son of the city’s top man.  It gets so complicated.  But, not for faux-Maria.  She is bent on her evil goals, driven to corrupt and sow discord.


4.  Triffids (Day of the Triffids):  Danged plants from outer space.  They seem fine when they first land and start growing.  Just a new weed to arouse momentary curiosity.  That is, until a strange light show in the sky blinds most of the population and triggers something in the plants.  It isn’t long before they grow enormous and begin to take a more active role in getting proper fertilizer.


3.  The Cenobites (Hellraiser):  Are they demons?  I don’t think so.  Simply beings beyond human understanding.  Tired of exploring time and space, they’ve turned to other explorations.  And generally, unless you call them, they leave you alone.


2.  The Xenomorph (Alien):  Though I know my co-Dork Brad picked this creature, too, I can’t leave it off my list.  Weird as this may be, I find the thing simply beautiful.  I find it at least as fascinating as Ash or Bishop do.  There’s something special about it.  A reality and a natural beauty that is rarely captured.  It’s a walking, killing piece of art.


1.  The Creature (The Creature from the Black Lagoon):  An iconic monster that has held a special place in my heart since I can remember, I don’t know when I first saw The Creature from the Black Lagoon, but it had to have been pretty early (5 or under).  He looks amazing and is just darned cool.  No wonder I responded to H.P. Lovecraft and his Deep Ones when I read them so many years later.



-Matt

No comments:

Post a Comment