Thursday, October 13, 2011

Dork Art Update: Hammermeister's Dracula with Gogos Colors!


Mark Hammermeister updated his blog with a color version of his Dracula.  He writes, "I went in and added color to my Lugosi painting. I took my visual cues here from the work of the great illustrator Basil Gogos, who gained fame in the 60's and 70's for painting many amazing covers for Forry Ackerman's Famous Monsters of Filmland. One of the things I loved most about those covers were the artist's remarkable color palettes he used. They were all ultra bright and shouldn't have made any sense, but somehow they did."

All I have to say is Bravo sir.  I thought the black & white was perfect, but now that I've seen the Gogos colored one...I'm in awe.  Definitely my favorite Hammermeister portrait so far.  Take a look below at some of Basil Gogos' original paintings to get an idea of what Hammermesiter is going for.  I think he nailed it.




--Brad

No comments:

Post a Comment